¾ cup King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
just a pinch instant yeast
5 ½ tbs water
¼ tsp honey
- 2 ¼ cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbs instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbs sour cream
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 4 tbs butter softened (¼ cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (make sure it is actually extract.)
- 1/8 tsp orange essential oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp rum
- ½ cup raisin (golden or regular).
- 2 tbs hot water
- ½ cup chopped dried pineapple
- 2 tbs grated lemon or orange zest
-For the Topping: – 1 cup powdered Sugar; 1 ½ Tbsp Lemon Juice or Confectioners sugar for dusting.
Special Equipment: 1 Large Panettone paper Mold, check on Amazon for Large Panettone Paper Mold, 6-Pack, 4.8-Inches H x 6.75-Inches W).
- To make the starter: Combine the starter ingredients, yeast, honey,water and flour in a medium-sized mixing bowl, cover and leave it overnight. In a small bowl, combine the raisins with the rum and 2 tablespoons of hot water. Allow them to soak overnight at room temperature, until the raisins are plump and most of the liquid has been absorbed soaking the raisins overnight will prevent the fruit from pulling moisture away from the dough.
- To make the dough: In a large Mixing bowl, whisk together Starter and all of the dough ingredients, except the fruit and zest, mix them together,(by hand or mixer) until you’ve made a smooth dough.
- Cover and allow the dough to rise 1 ½ hours.
- Punch down dough with lightly floured hands and knead in the fruits -(drain the raisins, discard the soaking liquid and stir into the dough mixture, add lemon or orange zest.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a panettone paper mold. Cover the pan and let the dough rise about 1 hour.
- Bake the bread in a preheated oven 400°F for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven heat to 350°F and bake for 35 minutes, tenting with aluminum foil if the crust appears to be browning.
- Remove the panettone from the oven and cool completely. Let cool to room temp or just warm and then tear off the wrapper. If you like, get your frosting on or dust with confectioners sugar.
- Store at room temperature, wrap it tightly in plastic. Enjoy ! (Make 1 loaf)
Raisins–To plump raisins for baking, cover them with hot liquid and let stand for 5 minutes, or them soak them overnight. You can use golden or regular raisins. The difference in color comes from the way they are dried.
Rum– There are two kinds of rum extract: imitation and natural. Imitation is made from artificial ingredients, Natural is made from real rum. Rum can be dark if burnt sugar or caramel is added.
Orange Essential Oil–Orange Oil is made from orange peel.(you get more orange flavor and aroma out of 1 drops of orange essential oil than out of an entire orange and the peel.) Always use Organic Orange Oil for baking.
Vanilla Extract–Natural vanilla extract contains antioxidants. Pure vanilla extract is made by steeping split vanilla beans in alcohol. This means big flavor.
Photo Credit: Unsplash.com