Keto, Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Topping
SERVINGS: 16 2 (8-inch layer of cake).
1 cup (96 grams) Almond Flour
8 tbs (60 grams) Golden Flax seed meal (finely ground)
1 tsp baking powder
8 tbs coconut oil (140 grams unsalted butter)
100 grams coconut sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract.
80 grams (about ¾ cup+1 Tbs) Cocoa Powder
½ tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Instant coffee (or Espresso Powder) (optional)
4 Eggs (room temperature)
7 ounces good quality unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
¾ cup confectioner’s Swerve Sweetener
½ tsp pure vanilla extract.
1 can (21 oz) Red Raspberry Pie Topping
Place chopped chocolate in the bowl of a stand mixer.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine whipping cream and confectioner’s Swerve or Stevia. Whisk until Swerve is dissolved and then bring to just a simmer.
Pour over chopped chocolate and let sit about 10 minutes, until chocolate is melted. Whisk to combine. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
Using whisk attachment beat on medium-high for 3 to 5 minutes, until lighter in color and fluffy. Set aside.
Instructions for the Cake
- Position a rack in the lower third of your oven and preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease and flour two 8-inch round baking pans. Set aside. (Preparing your cake pans the right way is crucial to the success of your cake)
- Add almond flour, flax seed meal and baking powder to a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined, set aside.
- Add butter (or coconut oil) sweetener, cocoa powder, salt and espresso powder (optional) to a large heatproof bowl. Melt over a water bath whisking constantly (or you can use the microwave). You’ll want to heat it up until most of the sweetener has melted and the mixture is well incorporated. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Add one egg at a time, whisking well after each one until completely incorporated.
- The texture should appear smooth, with all the sweetener dissolving into the mixture. If you used coconut oil, you want to be sure to mix it particularly well. Add the flour mixture, whisking until fully blended. Pour into 2 prepared cake pans
KETO, Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Topping
- Bake for 15-19 minutes, or until set and a toothpick inserted comes out just clean. Check often after minute 13 to ensure your cake doesn’t dry out.
- Cool cake layers in pans on wire cooling racks for 10 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the side of each pan to loosen the cake.
- Cover a rack with a towel, then place it, towel side down, on top of cake layer; turn upside down as a unit. Let layers cool completely on racks.
- Spread about 1/2 cup fluffy frosting over the top of the first layer to within about 1/4 inch of the edge. Coat the side of the cake with a very thin layer of frosting to seal in the crumbs.
- Place second layer, rounded side up, on the first layer. The two flat sides of the layers should be together with frosting in between.
- Spread a layer of raspberry topping on top of the cake. Enjoy!
Tips for Baking Cakes
-Turn the oven on 10 to 15 minutes before you plan to use it so it can heat to the baking temperature.
-Purchase an inexpensive oven thermometer to check the accuracy of your oven temperature.