Homemade Pockets Bread are super easy to make at home! Pita is a kind of flat bread. If you like falafel, deli turkey with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, pita bread is one of top choices for delicious sandwiches.
SERVING : 8
9.3 grams or (1 tbs) instant dry yeast
1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of sugar
300 ml (1 ¼ cups) warm water
1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Directions for HOMEMADE PITA POCKET BREAD
First of all, mix the water, together with yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved. Add the salt, oil and flour and slowly add in the yeast mixture,(just enough flour to form a soft dough) that clears the sides of the bowl. Then, knead for 5 minutes with an electric mixer or 10 minutes by hand until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Afterward, let the dough rest for at least 1 hour or until doubled in size.
Sprinkle a little of the extra flour onto your clean work surface and turn out the dough.
Roll the dough into a ball shape and separate into 8 balls. Lightly cover the balls of dough and let them rest for 10-15 minutes.
Make each dough ball into a thin disc, about 1/4-inch thick and let the pita rounds rest, lightly covered, for 45 minutes until they are slightly puffed.
There are two methods for baking the pita pocket bread.
Baking Stone in the oven
- First of all turn the oven to 425° degrees F. Preheat the stone in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Roll the pita evenly and make sure the dough isn’t dry on top when it goes in the oven. Pitas should be ¼ inch tick.
- Gently lift a pita disc onto the hot baking stone, spritz the top of the pita round with a light mist of water before baking.(By the way, if your stone is large enough you can bake more than one pita at a time).
- Lastly, bake the pitas for 10 minutes.
Pita pocket bread on Stove Top/Cast Iron Skillet
- Brush cast iron skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Place one pita disc on skillet. Cook 1 to 1 ½ minutes per side pushing on puffed pita with spatula to cook edges.
- Serve warm and above all Enjoy!
-You can also mix half wheat and half white flour
-The baked and cooled pitas can be frozen or stored covered at room temperature for 1-2 days.
Photo Credit: visualhunt.com