EXTRA FLUFFY BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All -purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ honey
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 475°. For flaky layers and pockets, use cold butter. Cold is an absolute must. Grate frozen butter. Mix together grated butter and flour in a medium bowl. Chill 10 minutes.
- Make a well in center of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients, buttermilk, and honey to balance out the salt. Stir. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches). Fold dough in half so short ends meet. Mold it together with your hands. Form into a rectangle. Repeat rolling and folding process 4 more times. Folding and flattening creates layers.
- Roll out with a rolling pin and cut into circles. The dough should be about 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch floured a round cutter to cut into rounds. When cutting the dough do not twist the cutter Twisting it will seal off the biscuit edges, preventing the biscuits from rising. Brush with a little buttermilk.(optional)
- Place dough rounds on a parchment paper. Bake at 475° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush with melted butter and E n j o y!