Yummy Jelly Donuts
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour + ( 1/4 cup extra flour)
2 teaspoons (1 packet = 7 grams) instant yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp of honey
2/3 cup of milk – warmed to 115°F
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 lemon or orange finely grated zest
¼ cup of butter (4.Tbs room temperature or 3 Tbs Oil)
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cup vegetable oil
(Canola oil worked equally well for cake, and donuts.)
1/3 cup sugar for coating
1 cup jam (raspberry, strawberry plum, or apricot jam )
Instructions for Yummy Jelly Donuts
- First, in a small bowl, combine yeast,1 teaspoon of honey and warm milk. Set aside until foamy, ( about 10 minutes.) Place flour in a large bowl, make a well in the center; add salt, eggs, yeast mixture, 1/4 cup sugar, butter, lemon or orange finely grated zest, vanilla and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- On a well-floured work surface, knead until dough is smooth and bounces back when poked with a finger. Place in an oiled bowl in a warm place ( cover with plastic wrap.) Set to rise until doubled, about 1 hr.
- Roll dough 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut circles using a 2 1/2 -inch round cutter, dipped in flour.Heat oil in a deep-fryer or heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Obviously the oil temperature is hard to gauge without a thermometer.When deep–frying, first and foremost the temperature of the liquid must be closely monitored using a thermometer.
- Carefully add the doughnuts in the hot oil – (use a slotted metal spoon or a wide metal spatula.)
- In addition to this -after 50 seconds, turn doughnuts over. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack or on a paper towel. Dip the hot donuts in the sugar
- Furthermore, shake off excess. Let them cool slightly. Make a hole on the side of each doughnut, using a wooden skewer or toothpick. Fit the pastry tip into a hole, pipe about 2 teaspoons jam into doughnuts and Last but not least ENJOY
Photo Credit :gratitudeismine.com